Movies with coasters/parks/carnivals in them?
s***@aol.com
2014-03-25 02:03:41 UTC
Seen these:

Roller Coaster
Adventureland
Music & Lyrics
Sweet Liberty
Beverly Hills Cop (whichever sequel had the park in it, its been a long time)
Dark Ride
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the recent sequel)

On the list to see:
Zombieland

Others recommended? (no spoilers please):
TC10K
2014-03-25 03:25:53 UTC
Smokey and the Bandit 2... I think it was 2.

Anyway, that's a really difficult scene to watch. No spoiler, just a warning.
AngryGumball
Richy Rich had Iron Wolf from SFGAm in it. Getting Even with Dad had a moment that took place at CGA.
Mike R
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters was filmed at Jazzland... (what is left of it)
Bill Steele
2014-03-25 20:57:26 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
Roller Coaster
Adventureland
Music & Lyrics
Sweet Liberty
Beverly Hills Cop (whichever sequel had the park in it, its been a long time)
Dark Ride
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the recent sequel)
Zombieland
Abbot and Costello in Hollywood (insane coaster scene!)
Gorilla at Large (filmed at Ocean Park Pier)
Carny (1980 -- about the people, not the rides)
Beware Spooks! (a ridiculous made-up funhouse)
State Fair (all versions)

Let's not count the gazillion cops and robbers movies that end up with a
chase through the hall of mirrors.
me
ldnayman
2014-03-27 18:55:51 UTC
On Netflix there's a pretty boring harryhausen documentary.

But if you can make it through the first 20 minutes you'll see a dinosaur eating a rollercoaster. Pretty cool.

I don't know what movie it's from.
me
2014-03-28 02:09:59 UTC
Post by ldnayman
On Netflix there's a pretty boring harryhausen documentary.
But if you can make it through the first 20 minutes you'll see a dinosaur eating a rollercoaster. Pretty cool.
I don't know what movie it's from.
I think the name of the movie is "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms"
There is an ACE member who lives in Florida that has been in the club for
at least 20 years named Bill(forgot his last name). He has written at least
one article(possibly more) for Rollercoaster magazine about this very sub-
ject. I don't know if he reads r-r-c or not but he is quite an expert when
it comes to coasters in movies and tv shows.

Two others not yet mentioned (both feature very short coaster footage)
Brainstorm
The Dead Zone (based on the Stephen King book)
also WILD RIDES narrated by Matt Dillon (documentary?) It's on YouTube.
CanobieFan
2014-03-28 04:08:46 UTC
Can't believe the movie FEAR hasn't come up yet...... The "thriller" with the sex scene on PNE/Playland's coaster.......
such a bad movie but with this gem of a moment
w***@gmail.com
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Great use of the Cyclone Racer
CoasterCrazy.com
One of the final destinations has one too. Can't remember which one (movie) though :\
me
2014-03-29 21:00:54 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
Roller Coaster
Adventureland
Music & Lyrics
Sweet Liberty
Beverly Hills Cop (whichever sequel had the park in it, its been a long time)
Dark Ride
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the recent sequel)
Zombieland
Surely you've seen Vacation ? (Magic Mountain aka Walley World)

There is a horror movie about a child with Satanic powers that has a
scene that was filmed at the defunct Old Chicago indoor park. If I
remember correctly, a chair with riders breaks loose from the Paratrooper
ride....may be footage of other rides that operated there?

Roller Coaster Rabbit (featuring Roger Rabbit of Who Framed Roger Rabbit)
This is a short cartoon that features a huge out-of-this-world roller
coaster that is animated

The Little Fugitive (Coney Island in New York)

Mr.Bean Minds the Baby (outrageous scene featuring a dirty diaper and
unsuspecting amusement park patrons)
me
2014-03-29 21:07:34 UTC
Post by me
Post by s***@aol.com
[...]
Just did a Google search on the aforementioned horror film....it's
called THE FURY from 1978
s***@aol.com
2014-03-29 23:23:49 UTC
Forgot about the Little Fugitive... I've seen that once (twice!).

Also I think I saw the Roger Rabbit carton short, also.
me
2014-03-30 03:05:31 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
Forgot about the Little Fugitive... I've seen that once (twice!).
Also I think I saw the Roger Rabbit carton short, also.
Chris, the Mind the Baby Mr. Bean full episode(almost 25 minutes long) is
currently on YouTube but may not be for long as one post has been blocked
for copyright reasons. I suggest you catch it soon before it disappears.
Heather Kendrick
2014-03-31 17:19:11 UTC
If you count water parks, there's "The Way Way Back" which I really
enjoyed.
Heather, the Carousel Rabbit
Bill Steele
2014-03-31 19:45:16 UTC
Just last night, TCM showed The Lady from Shanghai with its climactic
scene in a fun house with a mirror maze -- the one Woody Allen
referenced in Manhattan Murder Mystery. the scene is all a studio setup
with stuff you'd never see in a real funhouse or mirror maze -- the
usual multiple reflections -- but afterwards Orson Welles walks out into
an exterior shot outside the fun house at San Francisco's
Playland-at-the-Beach.
ACER 510
2014-04-01 20:42:38 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
Roller Coaster
Adventureland
Music & Lyrics
Sweet Liberty
Beverly Hills Cop (whichever sequel had the park in it, its been a long time)
Dark Ride
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the recent sequel)
Zombieland
Add these to your list...

This is Cinerama (1952)
Death of Ocean View Park (1979 TV Movie)
acer510
2014-06-30 02:41:24 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
Roller Coaster
Adventureland
Music & Lyrics
Sweet Liberty
Beverly Hills Cop (whichever sequel had the park in it, its been a long time)
Dark Ride
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the recent sequel)
Zombieland
While sorting thru my loose DVDs(those not in cases but on spindles)I found
this:
Carousel of Revenge
The graphics on the DVD feature a wave swinger, a ferris wheel and a wood
roller coaster. After doing a quick preview in my DVD player it turns out
that this was filmed at Arnolds Park and features many scenes of Lake Okojobi
and the Legend coaster. The famous "Point of No Return" sign at the top of
the lift hill is seen three times in the film along with POV footage of the
coaster in action. The film was released in 2007. It must have been a
straight to video release as I don't recall this ever showing at the local
cinema.
c***@comcast.net
2014-07-03 03:09:00 UTC
Movies that were filmed at Playland in Vancouver, BC:
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Hideaway
Riding The Bullet
Final Destination 3
Fear

Movies filmed in Seattle:
It Happened at The World's Fair
Singles

Movies filmed at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk:
Sudden Impact
Lost Boys
Dangerous Minds
The Sting 2
Thrill (TV movie 1996)

Movies filmed at (Paramount's) Great America:
Beverly Hills Cop 3

Movies filmed at SFMM:
National Lampoons Vacation
Kiss Meets The Phantom of The Park (1978 TV movie)
My Life
3 Ninjas-High Noon at Mega Mountain

Movies filmed at Coney Island:
The Warriors
The Wiz
Annie Hall
Boardwalk
Heaven Help Us
Over The Brooklyn Bridge
Brighten Beach Memoirs

There's a gazillion more movies that were filmed at Coney but these are the ones I recall watching.
dr. m
2014-07-03 04:48:05 UTC
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but the original 1988 Hairspray has some great footage of 80s-era Dorney Park, including the terribly horrifying clown entrance. What I wouldn't give to see that thing in person...
dr. m
2014-07-03 05:00:44 UTC
Also, I distinctly remember an episode of Leave It to Beaver that ended with Beaver, his brother, and their dick-ish friend all riding a roller coaster together. They weren't really on it, they were superimposed over reverse POV footage. I have no idea what coaster it was but a quick google search would probably tell you the episode. For all I know it was stock footage edited together from several different rides.
dr. m
2014-07-03 07:21:58 UTC
(The Leave It to Beaver episode apparently featured the duel-track Cyclone coaster at the Long Beach Pike. More info here - http://silentlocations.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/leave-it-to-harold-and-beaver-at-the-long-beach-pike/
c***@comcast.net
2014-07-04 06:36:27 UTC
The comical movie "Where Angels Go Trouble Follows" was also filmed at Dorney back in 1968. There's a scene that shows them riding Thunderhawk (then called Coaster), a few flat rides and the flume ride. Great historical footage of what the park looked like back then. Here's the scene from YouTube: