Are ride accidents - or media coverage there of - WAY up?
ChrisCoaster
2007-08-08 20:23:29 UTC
In either case, I still suspect that lack of common-f^@$ing-sense is
to blame in the vast majority of accidents.

IE: Overweight gentleman tossed out of SROS:NE in May 2005 > Sure he
got on over twenty times prior, so SROS attendants actually did not
notice, in twenty instances, an over-sized rider getting on? YOU'RE
FIRED!!!!

21 year old ride attendant tossed from and killed on Mind
Scrambler:RPL, NY > Because she thought she was sitting in her g
$&#($&mned LIVING ROOM SOFA?!?! Notice that this tragedy occured
during or just after a shift change(new operator came on). That
particular scrambler - though made boring by enclosing it - will never
operate again. AND I'M THIRTY-FRIGGIN-SEVEN AND I STILL LOVE
SCRAMBLERS!!!

13 year old girl loses lower legs on Superman Tower of Power(?) > One
of the 10% of all ride accidents related to actual ride failure/
malfunction.

In any event, accidents such as these have, and will continue to have,
the effect of modifications being made to the rides themselves even
though there is nothing wrong with them, instead of modifications to
people's JOBS!

YOU'RE FIRED!!!!

-CC
steelforce
2007-08-08 21:44:03 UTC
U'm WHERE did you get this statistic????
t***@gmail.com
2007-08-08 22:15:02 UTC
The main causes of roller coaster accidents that I have heard of:

Standing up or removing the safety harness.
Walking under an inverted coaster while it is running.

You have to wonder what these people were thinking.
ChrisCoaster
2007-08-09 22:44:41 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Standing up or removing the safety harness.
Walking under an inverted coaster while it is running.
You have to wonder what these people were thinking.
_____________________________
Thank you turboto! And I must add: Not effectively monitoring just
who is getting on the ride, IE outsized riders at either end of the
size spectrum - too small and too big!

Steelforce please take notice. The rides themselves are inherently
safe, and are designed to be safe. Rides do not just decide to fail -
they fail(or people fail to stay in them . . .) when improperly
maintained or operated. You yourself chose a handle after one of the
safest examples out there. :)

-CC
steelforce
2007-08-10 01:32:29 UTC
Post by ChrisCoaster
Steelforce please take notice. The rides themselves are inherently
safe, and are designed to be safe. Rides do not just decide to fail -
they fail(or people fail to stay in them . . .) when improperly
maintained or operated. You yourself chose a handle after one of the
safest examples out there. :)
-CC
OK thanks for that, now, could you answer my question?

Where did you get that 10% statistic from, or is that just what you
think it is?

thanks
ChrisCoaster
2007-08-10 12:46:03 UTC
Post by steelforce
Post by ChrisCoaster
Steelforce please take notice. The rides themselves are inherently
safe, and are designed to be safe. Rides do not just decide to fail -
they fail(or people fail to stay in them . . .) when improperly
maintained or operated. You yourself chose a handle after one of the
safest examples out there. :)
-CC
OK thanks for that, now, could you answer my question?
Where did you get that 10% statistic from, or is that just what you
think it is?
thanks
_______________
It's a safe assumption that between 10-20%(OK I can fudge a little!)
of all ride injuries or fatalities are caused by actual design
failure. No - I do not work for the amusement industry or for a ride
builder - but I do believe that HUMAN BEHAVIOR, or lack of it, causes
more incidents than any other cause.

A ferris wheel carriage will not just suddenly fall off the rim. It's
IMPOSSIBLE.

1. Rust or fatigue wear, missed by inspectors, could have built up at
the point where the carriage is held to the frame, rotting the
connection, making failure imminent.
2. The carriages were knowingly or unknowingly overloaded
consistently, increasing the fatigue rate on the points where the
carriage swivels.
3. The carriage was incorrectly mounted to the rim of the wheel.
4. The ride itself is generations beyond its useful life, even with
proper inspection/maintenance.
5. This list of human errors could go on indefinitely....

SF, question: Do you possess any COMMON SENSE? Because I'm sure
having a tough time finding it elsewhere in this 21st century!
Perhaps I could find some on MARS.

-CC
steelforce
2007-08-10 15:11:48 UTC
Post by ChrisCoaster
SF, question: Do you possess any COMMON SENSE? Because I'm sure
having a tough time finding it elsewhere in this 21st century!
Perhaps I could find some on MARS.
Ok, I have no common sense, yet you're the one pulling statistic
numbers outta your ass? .........

Go figure

With very little effort I was able to establish a REAL statistic by
simply pulling up www.saferparks.org they report that "Equipment
failure accounts for only 4% of all ride-related accidents reported to
state regulatory agencies".

So, Mr. SMARTASS, I might suggest YOU investigate things before
blurting it out for everyone to read when it's COMPLETELY INCORRECT,
that my friend is the common sense thing to do!

SAM
ChrisCoaster
2007-08-10 21:17:39 UTC
Post by steelforce
Post by ChrisCoaster
SF, question: Do you possess any COMMON SENSE? Because I'm sure
having a tough time finding it elsewhere in this 21st century!
Perhaps I could find some on MARS.
Ok, I have no common sense, yet you're the one pulling statistic
numbers outta your ass? .........
Go figure
With very little effort I was able to establish a REAL statistic by
simply pulling upwww.saferparks.org they report that "Equipment
failure accounts for only 4% of all ride-related accidents reported to
state regulatory agencies".
So, Mr. SMARTASS, I might suggest YOU investigate things before
blurting it out for everyone to read when it's COMPLETELY INCORRECT,
that my friend is the common sense thing to do!
SAM
_____________
Alright, so I thought you were one of those mystical or religious
types who believed that rides were evil and just failed when they felt
like it. Therefore I figured you were thinking 25% or something. So
I suggested a higher number than the one you found on saferparks.

So ExCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME - Mr. NAMECALLER!
steelforce
2007-08-12 19:41:08 UTC
Post by ChrisCoaster
Post by steelforce
Post by ChrisCoaster
[...]
So ExCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME - Mr. NAMECALLER!- Hide quoted text -
DUDE statistics are FACTS. not just something a KnexBoy thinks up
when the track breaks on his basement toy coaster............

4% is an industry studied number which is the % which rides accidents
happen due to poor maintenance or equipment failure.
ChrisCoaster
2007-08-13 16:33:19 UTC
Post by steelforce
Post by ChrisCoaster
Post by steelforce
Post by ChrisCoaster
[...]
happen due to poor maintenance or equipment failure.- Hide quoted text -
4% is a terrific number - no doubt. But the GP perception, steel, is
what bothers me and is hard to dispel, especially here in Conn where
it's ok to put drinks on coasters....

Lame joke, but seriously, folks in CT are no fun when it comes to this
sort of stuff. And when there is an accident, coasters and other rides
are suddenly seen as evil and dangerous! Puhleeeez!!! Why did I have
to be born here? :)

So at least I was rational enough to ESTIMATE the percentage of
accidents due to equipment failure. Other people from this way would
have blamed the ride in 1/2 of all cases.

-CC
steelforce
2007-08-13 20:23:42 UTC
Post by ChrisCoaster
Post by steelforce
Post by ChrisCoaster
Post by steelforce
Post by ChrisCoaster
[...]
-CC- Hide quoted text -
Listening to rep Markey too much,

BTW the easiest way to explain your own personal "guesstimate" is to
say something like "my guess would put the number at" that notes that
you're guessing or approximating the number, not stating facts. your
initial presentation would lead someone to believe you had cold hard
facts from somewhere rather than a guess.

keep your chin up, nobodys mad at ya

SAM