Captain Kidd's World at former Sea World of Ohio
Lepidopteran
2004-05-10 04:09:16 UTC
Does anyone remember the original list of rides, dating from 1975 or
so, found at the "Captain Kidd's World" section of Sea World, Ohio?
This is the park that was absorbed into SFO, now Geauga Lake park
(again).

Note that Sea World Ohio did not really have any "rides" per se, but
rather had Captain Kidd's World, which is best described as an
advanced playground for children. Each ride had a pirate-ship
oriented name. I had heard somewhere that the place was designed by
the same person who built a similar playground at the now-defunct
Ontario Place in Toronto. Similar rides were eventually built at KI
in the Hanna-Barbera Land, and at CP on the site of the old funhouse.

The original rides as best I can recall:

- Punch-a-bunch-a-Pirates: essentially a grid of a couple dozen
punching bags. When there were a lot of kids in it the whole thing
appeared "alive" from afar.

- King of the Wave (?): hard to describe, this one had an elevated
platform with a fake scale dial at the top. Leading up to it on all
four sides was sheets of smooth canvas for the kids to climb up and
slide down.

- A moonwalk.

- A ball pit. I remember how amazing and innovative this seemed when
first introduced. Of course nowadays, these may be found at every
other McDonald's.

- Walking the Plank: An elevated "swinging" wooden walkway suspended
between three bases; red, yellow, and blue, making a complete loop.
The walkways were well protected by wire and netting to keep people
from falling out. The bases could be accessed via stairs within or by
climbing...

- Fishing nets

- Twin "breeches buoy" lines where kids grabbed on to suspened poles.
Was this called "Sailing the bounding main?" In any case, this would
be the one that I'd think would be a no-no these days with regard to
safety and liability insurance.

- You know those playground/obstacle course bars that you hang from
and try to swing, monkey-like, from one to another across without
falling? They had one of these where you fell into a pool of water if
you didn't get across!

- A few tube and roller-surfaced slides.

- For younger kids only, a carpeted tunnel with bubble windows for
crawing through.

- Some ordinary playground-style swings with large attachments on the
top.

How much of this still remains with the new ownership?
Coastnlift
2004-05-10 04:37:34 UTC
According to www.ontarioplace.com, Ontario Place is not defunct.

David
Lepidopteran
2004-05-10 17:14:10 UTC
On 10 May 2004 04:37:34 GMT, ***@aol.com (Coastnlift) wrote:

<Cap'n Kidd's World had playground rides similar to Ontario Place>
Post by Coastnlift
According to www.ontarioplace.com, Ontario Place is not defunct.
My bad. I thought I'd heard something about the place being shut
down. Google is our friend. And OP does still have a fair number of
"playground rides" (for lack of a better term) like ball pits and
climbing towers.

BUT, upon checking out the Ontario Place website, I could not locate
a certain older roller coaster on the park map. Don't remember the
name, but it was one of those curvy, compact coasters, configured a
little like the Wildcat at CP.
C. Montgomery Burns
2004-05-10 21:51:22 UTC
Post by Coastnlift
According to www.ontarioplace.com, Ontario Place is not defunct.
My bad. I thought I'd heard something about the place being shut
down. Google is our friend. And OP does still have a fair number of
"playground rides" (for lack of a better term) like ball pits and
climbing towers.
BUT, upon checking out the Ontario Place website, I could not locate
a certain older roller coaster on the park map. Don't remember the
name, but it was one of those curvy, compact coasters, configured a
little like the Wildcat at CP.
I don't ever remember a rollercoaster at Ontario Place. There was
however a Wildcat at the CNE. Is that what you are thinking of?

C. Montgomery Burns